“our best kept” secret, the From the Vault Series was designed to add a rotational element to Sociable Kitchen & Tavern’s bottle list. This series will feature highly coveted craft beers and ciders which cannot be purchased at the Beer Store or the LCBO and are designed to appease those looking for something more coveted and unique!
FEATURED BEERS – December 2016
Beer #1: L’IMPERATRICE (Bourbon Barrel Aged)Brewery: Le Trou du Diable (Shawinigan, Quebec)
Style: American Double/Imperial Stout
FORMAT: 750ml Bottle
- Founded in 2010, Le Trou du Diable is a critically acclaimed Quebec-based brewery located in Shawinigan. They have a Barrel Aged program that is arguably unmatched in the province!
Beer #2: JELLY KINGBrewery: Bellwoods Brewery (Toronto, Ontario)
Style: Dry Hopped Sour
FORMAT: 500ml Bottle (Bottle Conditioned)
What exactly is a Dry Hopped Sour?
- A trending style in Ontario, Dry Hopped Sour beers combine delicious sour beer flavors with the floral, herbal, piney, and/or citrus aromas which are produced by the addition of hops!
Beer #3: DINOSAURS WILL DIE
Brewery: Half Hours on Earth (Seaforth, Ontario)
Style: American Wild Ale
FORMAT: 500ml Bottle
- Recently opened in April 2016, Half Hours on Earth is a small batch brewery in Seaforth that has already received a lot of critical attention from the most discerning of Ontario’s beer geeks.
Beer #4: FRAMBOISE BOON (2014)
Brewery: Brouwerji Boon (Leembek, Belgium)
Style: Lambic - Fruit
FORMAT: 375ml Bottle
- This is a rare one – SKT snagged the last 12 bottles available in the province! Woot!
What is a Lambic (Fruit)?
- A lambic is a spontaneous fermented ale that is indigenous to the Senne Valley of Belgium.
- Fruit Lambics, whole fruits are traditionally added after spontaneous fermentation has started. Kriek (cherries), Framboise (raspberries), and Cassis (black currant) are common fruits, all producing subtle to intense fruit characters respectively.
- Once the fruit is added, the beer is subjected to additional maturation before bottling. Malt and hop characters are generally low to allow the fruit to consume the palate. Alcohol content tends to be low.
Beer #5: GOTHAM
Brewery: Bellwoods Brewery (Toronto, Ontario)
Style: Black Imperial IPA
FORMAT: 500ml Bottle
- Much like the name, this beer is plagued with an ominous past, and Bellwoods brewed it 3 times before it finally made its way to the public. Dark, hoppy, and with a mind of its own, Gotham has put us through the ringer!